A quote came to mind when I was developing this recipe, one by the fairy godmother from the Shrek movies… “Somebody bring me something deep fried and smothered with chocolate!”
I’m pretty sure the fairy godmother would enjoy this recipe—and I’m hoping so will you!
Deep fried lotus root dipped in orange & ginger chocolate
- ~12 slices of lotus root
- 8 tbsp all purpose flour
- 8 tbsp water
- 90 g dark chocolate (I used Bourneville chocolate)
- small piece of ginger, diced
- 1 tbsp (fresh) orange juice
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Oil for deep frying
- Prepare a deep fryer, or heat a good amount of vegetable oil in a deep fry-proof pan.
- Scoop the all purpose flour in a bowl and gently pour in the water while mixing. Make sure there are no lumps in the batter.
- Cover the lotus roots with this batter.
- Deep fry the lotus roots for about 4 minutes, or until they’ve turned golden brown. Leave them to cool on a cooling rack.
- In a separate bowl, heat the chocolate au-bain-marie. I added some coconut oil to make the chocolate more “runny” but it depends on the chocolate you use. Never add water to chocolate as this will separate!
- Add the ginger and orange juice to the chocolate and stir well.
- Dip the deep fried lotus root in the chocolate. Leave to cool or enjoy whilst the chocolate is still hot!