There’s hardly anything that can beat piping hot soup on a cold winter day. This creamy mushroom soup will warm you up in seconds!
If you know me a bit, you will know that I really love soup. One of my most favourite soups is my mother’s mushroom soup. She used to make this chicken soup that we called “Oma’s kippensoep” (“Granny’s chicken soup”)—the original recipe must’ve come from my grandmother. I’m not sure if this is true but I believe that when I became a vegetarian, my mother changed the recipe to mushroom soup instead. Soon this became my most favourite soup.
Of course I had to try and make this soup myself, although I bet it won’t ever beat the delicious version my mother makes. Things never quite taste the same when you try to make it yourself, am I right? Anyway, it took a couple of attempts to make a creamy vegan mushroom soup, but voilà; here it is. It’s not the same, but oh boy it’s delicious. Have a go yourself with this recipe:
Creamy Vegan Mushroom Soup
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 150 g closed cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 100 g plant based butter (I used Vitalite Dairy Free)
- 6 tbsp plain flour
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- 600 ml water
- 400 ml oat milk (I used oatly)
- 1 tsp onion salt
- spring onion
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet and fry the onion. Add the sliced mushrooms and stir well.
- Meanwhile, melt the vegan butter in a saucepan (make sure it doesn’t boil!). When melted turn off the heat and gradually start adding the plain flour. Make sure to stir well until a paste forms.
- Add the 400ml vegetable stock to the paste and keep stirring.
- Now pour this mixture into the skillet with onion and mushrooms. Add the 600 ml water and 400ml oat milk and stir well.
- The onion salt is optional but I do think it really adds to the taste so stir it in if you want to!
- Add some pepper to taste and garnish with spring onion.
One Reply to “Creamy Vegan Mushroom Soup”