I was shocked when I found out that the average Espresso Martini—my favourite cocktail!—usually isn’t vegan. Following the success of my Vegan Snowball Cocktails I knew I had to experiment with coffee cocktails until I found the perfect vegan substitute for an Espresso Martini.
So what makes an Espresso Martini not vegan, you might ask? Well, for starters, usually Kahlúa, a coffee liqueur, is used to make these delicious cocktails. Unfortunately Kahlúa is not suitable for vegans. I used Barnivore to find a vegan coffee liqueur—scroll down for my list of vegan coffee liqueurs below. The vegan coffee liqueur I used is Aber Falls coffee & dark chocolate liqueur; it’s a smooth liqueur that’s not too sweet with a hint of dark chocolate.
Another reason Espresso Martini isn’t always vegan is because egg white is used to give it a creamy layer on top. No thanks! When using espresso straight from the machine, you’ll get that creamy layer anyway, so I decided not to use aquafaba to replace the egg white.
To decorate the rim of the glasses I used a little bit of white sugar which I then mixed with a tiny amount of cocoa powder.
Vegan Espresso Cocktail Recipe
- 1/3 vegan coffee liqueur
- 1/3 freshly brewed espresso
- 1/3 ice cubes
- Pour the coffee liqueur over glasses filled with ice cubes.
- Add the freshly brewed coffee. Give it a stir and serve!
List of vegan coffee liqueurs:
- Koval Coffee Liqueur
- Soiree Coffee Liqueur
- Piccala coffee liqueur
- Kona Gold Coffee Liqueur
- Giffard Coffee Liqueur
- Cardinal Songbird Coffee Liqueur
- Mr Black Coffee Liqueur
- Settlers Coffee Liqueur
- DuBouchett Coffee Liqueur
- VOK Coffee Liqueur
- Damn Fine Coffee Liqueur
- St. George Nola Coffee Liqueur
- Kimberley Faithful Henry Coffee Liqueur
- Prairie Wolf Dark Coffee Liqueur
- Aber Falls Coffee & Dark Chocolate Liqueur
- Bulldog Brewery LA Coffee and Vanilla Liqueur Kit