This delicious shortbread recipe is based on my Spooky Cookies Recipe—by making some small adjustments your shortbread will have that crumbly texture that is so good.
There’s a reason why in the Netherlands we call these cookies zandkoekjes (“sand cookies”): by adding white sugar instead of icing sugar, you’ll get that “gritty”, sand-like texture. But no worries, this shortbread does not taste like a handful of sand!
Ps. If you’re tempted to eat some of the raw dough (hey, no one’s judging—we’ve all been there), read this article about why it’s better you don’t. It even has a recipe for safe-to-eat cookie dough!
If you want to decorate your cookies with some icing, just mix 100 gr icing with 1 tbsp water. If you find it’s too sticky, just add a bit more water—just be careful not to add too much water as this will make your icing runny.
Vegan Shortbread Recipe
- 225 g flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 100 g white sugar
- 125 g plant based butter (directly out of the fridge, no need to melt)
- Start mixing the dry ingredients and gradually add the butter. Knead until it’s a firm dough.
- Roll the dough into a ball and place in the fridge for 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Dust your kitchen counter with some flour and roll out the dough. Use cookie cutters (or the rim of a small glass) to shape the cookies.
- Line a baking tray with a baking sheet and put the cookies on there. Make sure there’s enough space between the cookies.
- Bake the cookies for about 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown. Allow them to cool down on a cooling rack. Enjoy!
3 Replies to “Vegan Shortbread Recipe”
Yum, these look great 🙂 I love your blog, definitely following! 🙂 If you’d like to support me, feel free to follow my Instagram @madebybernadine . Have a great day!
Thank you for your kind words, Bernadine! I’m following you on Instagram now 😊 xx
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it 🙏🏾