This Vegan Wellington Recipe has become a special treat at our home – perfect for festive occasions like Christmas and Easter, but also good for a Sunday roast.
It might seem more difficult than it actually is, so please don’t hesitate and give this wellington recipe a try! Use #kitchenoflionrecipe when making one of my recipes and I’ll feature you on my Instagram stories.
- 250 g vital wheat gluten
- 3 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 leek, cut in small pieces
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp ground smoked pepper
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/4 tbsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp tarragon
- 1 tsp salt
- half block of vegan puff pastry (250 g)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp unsweetened soy milk
- In a deep skillet, heat some oil and fry the onion and garlic. Add the smoked pepper, mustard powder and black pepper.
- Add the leek and then add the vegetable stock. In a separate bowl, mix the vital wheat gluten with the chickpea flour.
- Gradually add the vital wheat gluten mix while stirring. Take skillet off heat and keep stirring until a dough-y mixture forms.
- Leave the mixture to cool down a bit and then heave it over to a clean surface. Knead the mixture for 10 minutes and then shape it into a big sausage roll. Preheat the oven to 170 C.
- Rub the tarragon onto the roll, then wrap it with kitchen (aluminium) foil, make some tiny holes in it with a toothpick or fork.
- Put the roll on a baking tray in the oven, leave for 2 hours on 170 C.
- When the sausage roll is cooked, roll out 250 g puff pastry to wrap the roll with. Place the sausage roll in the middle and fold the pastry on top, then flip over so the “seam” is at the bottom.
- With a sharp knive, cut through the dough to make indents (see picture). Make sure not to cut the sausage roll and leave approx. 2 cm between every cut.
- Mix the maple syrup and soy milk in a separate bowl. Brush on top of the pastry for a nice glaze.
- Put back in the oven for approx. 20 minutes or until the puff pastry has a deep golden colour. Enjoy with roast potatoes, cranberry sauce or on its own.