When it’s getting colder, I like to make soups that warm you up from inside out and keep you stuffed for quite a while. This vegan peanut and sweet potato soup is the perfect soup for autumnal days.
I use crunchy peanut butter but using smooth peanut butter won’t make it less tasty. However, make sure to use peanut butter without added sugar.
Vegan Peanut & Sweet Potato Soup
A warm and filling Indonesian-inspired soup perfect for cold autumn evenings.
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and in cubes
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 400 ml water
- 4 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp vegan trassi
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 165 ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp roasted sesame oil
- 1 spring onion (optional)
- cassava crackers (optional)
- 1 tbsp sambal oelek (optional)
- Peel and cube the sweet potatoes and add them 400 ml boiling water. Cook them for 12 minutes in 400 ml water and add the vegan trassi. Stir well – this is going to be your stock.
- Chop the onion and mince the garlic. Heat a tablespoon of sesame oil in a deep skillet and add the onion and garlic.
- Add the sweet potato and stock after two minutes.
- Add the peanut butter, soy sauce and coconut milk. Stir well and make sure the soup doesn’t boil over.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Use a hand blender to blend to a smooth soup.
- Serve with cut spring onion and cassava crackers. If you like spicy food, add a spoonful of sambal. Enjoy!