Autumn is on its way, and that means it’s the perfect time to pick blackberries! Inspired by the season I came up with this autumnal blackberry pie – all vegan.
While taking a stroll I came across a lot of blackberry bushes and managed to pick 840(!) grams of blackberries. When foraging I always make sure to leave fruit for others, not just people but also for animals that might depend on it. Read more about wild foraging.
This vegan blackberry pie is so good, it’s the perfect treat after a long walk through the forest. The crust is lovely and the blackberry filling is sweet and gooey.
Vegan Blackberry Pie
- For the filling:
- 840 g blackberries
- 150 g granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 60 ml maple syrup
- 70 ml apple juice
- 2 tbsp plant based butter
- 114 g strong white flour
- 435 gram strong white flour
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 125 ml lukewarm water
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 113 gram plant based butter
For the crust:
- First prepare the pie filling by adding your berries (save about a handful to add later), plant based butter, salt and sugar to a deep skillet over medium heat.
- Use a potato masher to mash down the blackberries until they are all smashed. Bring this mixture to a simmer – do not boil.
- Mix the maple syrup, apple juice and corn starch in a glass. Dissolve the corn starch as well as you can. Add this liquid to the fruit mixture skillet and stir well. Then, while stirring, sprinkle the flour over top. Continue to simmer and stir as the berries thicken for about 2 minutes. Then turn off the heat. Add in the blackberries you kept apart. When cooling down, the filling will thicken even more. Set aside for the moment being while you start working on the crust.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and gradually add the water while you knead the dough. Keep kneading until a plump dough forms.
- Roll out your dough in two sections; a bigger one for the bottom layer of pie crust, and a smaller one for the weave on top.
- Coat the baking tin you are using with some plant based butter, then lay the bottom pie crust flat. Press dough around the dish edges to make it look as pretty as you like.
- Pour your cooled pie filling over the crust. Then lay the weave strands on top of that. Coat the top layer with a bit of melted plant based butter and sprinkle with sugar. Garnish with whole fresh berries in the center of the pie.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the crust begins to turn light brown. Serving tip: serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some fresh mint. Delicious!