A variation on the traditional hot dog, but all vegan! It takes a while before you can sink your teeth in them, but it’s totally worth the wait.
The rich smoky marinade makes the carrots hard to distinguish from real hot dogs! No dogs were harmed during the making of these carrot dogs. I can’t say the same thing for the carrots, though. 😉
These vegan carrot dogs were an absolute favourite at my vegan birthday party. I let my guests choose their own toppings, varying from chopped red onion to olives, vegan mayonaise to mustard. Everyone went for seconds, and some even asked for thirds! I wasn’t expecting it to be such a hit, but these vegan carrot dogs are the real deal!
Vegan Carrot Dogs
- 8 peeled carrots
- 30 ml apple cider vinegar
- 50 ml soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 8 bake at home buns
- 1 small red onion
- 6 pickles
- 2 tbsp liquid from pickles
- Toppings of your choice
- Peel the carrots and cook them in boiling water for six minutes.
- In the meantime, mix the soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder and smoked paprika powder into a marinade.
- I used a freezer bag to marinate the carrots – put the carrots together with the marinade in the freezer bag and leave it open until the carrots are cold. You can then close the bag and let it marinade in the fridge for about four hours, or overnight if you have the time.
- Remove the carrots from the freezer bag and heat a spoonful of sesame oil (or oil of your choosing) in a frying pan. Bake the carrots for about 10 minutes, turn them regularly.
- Meanwhile, cut open the buns. Chop the red onion and mix it with the pickle liquid. Cut the pickles into small cubes. Cover each bun with a carrot, red onion, pickles and a topping of your choice (I used the vegan sriracha mayonnaise from the Flying Goose brand). Enjoy!
One Reply to “Vegan Carrot Dogs Recipe”