How is it December already? For me, December is all about coziness, warmth and hygge and of course (heart)warming dishes. That’s why I’m sharing this recipe for an apple cake with you!
I think the best part of this vegan apple cake is that it’s a bit tart – especially if you make it with green apples. This recipe would be even better if made with apples from your own apple tree, I’m sure!
I enjoyed this vegan apple cake with some homemade cranberry sauce, which tasted delicious! To make it even better I had a cheeky mug of mulled wine with it. It’s the perfect combination of spices, warmth, and just sheer happiness.
Vegan Apple cake
- 4 apples
- 250 g flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 sachets (14 gr) baking powder
- 200 g sugar
- 90 ml unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 90 ml sunflower oil
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground clove
- pinch nutmeg
- handful raisins
- lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Grease the baking tin with some oil.
- Cut the apples into quarters and remove the core. Peel them and cut half of the apples in thin slices; the other half can be cut into small pieces. Sprinkle them with a little lemon juice and leave them in the fridge for the time being.
- Mix all dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder, sugar and spices) and mix well.
- Mix the almond milk, sunflower oil and vinegar in a separate bowl. Gradually add this to the dry ingredients and mix with a whisk. Then add the small pieces of apple.
- Pour the batter into the baking tin and finish it off by arranging the apple slices on top. 7. Bake the cake for about 50 minutes – check whether it’s cooked with a fork or skewer. If there’s no batter left, your cake will be ready; otherwise leave it for another couple of minutes and check again.